Friday, October 10, 2008

What a Sprain in the Ankle!

This morning almost immediately after I got out of bed, I was going down the stairs, lost my footing and fell. This isn't an unusual occurrence around here, I fall down the stairs quite often. But THIS time, when I landed at the bottom, my right ankle bent in half and I coulda sworn I heard a snap. It hurt SOOOOO bad. I began rocking back forth saying something that amounted to "Ow ow ow ow ow ow" and ended in a "JEERRR-EEE-MMMEEEEEE!!!!" Poor guy had JUST gone to bed but he came bursting from out of the bedroom and rushed to my aid.

I was immediately drenched in sweat and felt like I was going to puke. Jeremy brought me a bowl and a bottle of water and began to make plans to take me to the emergency room. My first concern? Dang it, I haven't even brushed my teeth yet!!! So he brought me my toothbrush and I sat there on the floor, partially brushing, partially crying. He also brought me my bra. (I went in my jammies but the world doesn't need to see ALL of that!)

Well after swearing up and down that I'd broken it (it hurt worse than the time I broke my hand), the x-rays revealed no breaks. Just a severe sprain. Is it wrong that I was almost disappointed? I mean, obviously I didn't want to go through the recovery a broken ankle would have required, but the doctor was looking at me with much less sympathy after we found it was just a sprain. They gave me a boot, told me to "baby it" for a few days and sent me on my way. NO PAIN MEDS! What kind of trip to the ER ends with no pain meds?

So I'm doped up the best I can be on Aleve *tsk tsk* and hobbling around with a giant boot on my ankle. It throbs like the dickens, so I can tell I'll be couch-bound for at least the rest of the day.

It ruins my weekend, however, because our church friends are going to Worlds of Fun tomorrow and now we can't go. :( Why couldn't I have fallen at the BEGINNING of the week? It's not like I've been doing anything that couldn't have been rescheduled. *haha*

1 comment:

Kimpossible said...

OMG!!! That truly sucks!!! Im so sorry that it ruins your week-end! You have all of my sympathies there. Im very glad its not broken and that Jeremy was there! He wins the great husband award hands down! If you need anything at all just let me know!

Hang in there gimpy!!!