Saturday, November 8, 2008

Blindness, Broadway and Low-cal Cuppycakes

I picked up my new glasses from Wal-Mart yesterday afternoon and while I think they're absolutely PERFECT (seriously cute, classy and a teensy bit retro - they're FAB!), I can't see worth a darn. I walked around Wal-Mart for a few minutes before I went back to the lady in the Vision Center. I asked her to double check the prescription to make sure they'd copied it down right and that the glasses matched too. Everything was correct, except my vision! Things aren't blurry, but I feel a little like I'm wearing 3-D goggles...as if I'm seeing in layers. It's hard to explain, but I feel like my eyes are straining really bad too. The woman said that my eyes are probably just adjusting, but if I'm not seeing better by Monday I'm calling my optometrist. Meanwhile I've got a constant headache.

My vision has unfortunately affected my plans for the weekend. Last night I went to a crop with Jenny at her church and managed to get a layout done but it wasn't easy. Then today I was supposed to crop with Mary and I just couldn't. I went and gabbed for a couple of hours, which was fun, but didn't bother with my scrap crap. My head is just hurting too much.

Yesterday I did make some AMAZING cupcakes for the crop night with Jenny. "Cupcakes?" you ask. "But Sarah, I thought you were on a diet!" Well I am! The cupcake recipe came from my Hungry Girl cookbook. They were chocolatey and fluffy and DELICIOUS! I was amazed at how wonderful they turned out because:
a. I baked them.
and b. They only have 108 calories each! 
Yes you read right! Too good to be true, but why would I lie about something like that? *haha* They're so yummy that even the "non-dieters" at the crop gobbled them up. Some even had two! In place of frosting, which is a high-calorie item, I put a blop of marshmallow cream on top of each cupcake. (That was a struggle. Marshmallow cream is NOT easy to work with, especially on the top of a moist cupcake.) Anywho, I'm looking forward to trying some other recipes after discovering how great these were. 

Jeremy and I went to Old Navy last night to look at coats since they're all 50% off right now. I tried on every coat in the store and couldn't find one I liked. A lot of the ones they've got right now have really high necks and I felt like I was choking. Jeremy had more luck than I did, he found this coat and it fit him to a T. 
I'm totally psyched about it. He looks really cute in it...and it's not something he would typically go for. I think he'll look purdy hot with this over a sweater walking around New York City.  (Jeremy? In a sweater AND a coat? He would be literally HOT! *hahaha*)

Speaking of New York....only 23 days left! (Which you already knew, thanks to that handy dandy counter I added to my page recently.)  The other day our Phantom of the Opera tickets came in the mail and I just about wet my pants! I was waving them in the air, dancing around the kitchen, acting like a total goofball. Jeremy looked a little panicked...like, "If this is what she does when she sees the tickets, what will she do when we get to the theater?" Scary. *haha* If I could have my way, we would be doing Broadway every single night we were there. Wicked, Mary Poppins, White Christmas, Chicago, The Lion King, The Little Mermaid, Mama Mia....oh and don't forget the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Oh wait, that's more nights than we're even going to be there, isn't it? Well dang. ;) 

This week Jeremy and I are going to sit down and make up a day-by-day itinerary. This goes against much of our usual travel philosophy. We're big on "winging it," usually making a loose plan but leaving lot's of room for spontaneity. As I've been gathering info for NYC, however, I've realized that there is just far too much to do for us to wing it. We need to make a plan of attack, separating things by "boroughs" so we can be as efficient as possible. It's so overwhelming! The only things that are set in stone so far are:
Wednesday night: Lighting of the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree
Thursday night: PHANTOM OF THE OPERA! *squeal*
Friday night: Museum of Modern Art (which has free admission on Friday nights)
 
Then I have a monstrous list of restaurants, shops and landmarks I want to hit. I don't think there's any possible way for us to do everything...guess I should just be grateful we'll be there at all! :)

2 comments:

Monica said...

I had a terrible time finding a fall jacket. Finally had luck at Eddie Bauer, however my second choice was one at American Eagle. Just FYI. Did I see on your FB where you got one though? Anyways...and I saw Phantom in London. Totally amazing. So excited for you . Have a blast!

a chick named Toni... said...

I love the background change! Fun and fallish! I am so excited for you to go on your trip. I can't wait to hear all the fun details. Can you believe it is just around the corner? Time sure does fly right? I can't wait to see you in your new specs...you should post a pic of you on the blog so I can see!